RE: [TCLUG:17041] <OT:anti-M$> *scary* stuff...

"As far as software goes, I push my machine desktop
in more ways, and harder than I've seen any desktop
being pushed at any place of business I've been to.
(And it is still stable)"

I just had to respond to this one.

My desktop currently is running:

	Three full copies of Oracle 8i server one of which is doing
replication.
	Oracle Enterprise Manager.
	Sqlplus server and Bugzilla running on top of Apache.
	An SNMP trap interpreting utility that gets about 200 traps/second.
	Netscape.
	KDE (for me)
	CDE everything so that people can Xhost from it and run
whoknowswhat.
	Together/J 3.0(a UML software development package--highly
recommended!)
	NFS and all the normal unix daemons, including Samba.
	StarOffice 5.1.
	Half a dozen JVM's running various custom applications.
	Windows NT on a card running Word, Visio Enterprise, Outlook, and
Clarify Client for Oracle
	An mp3 player currently playing "Safety Dance"
	The javac compiler
	A couple of dozen shells and emacs windows.

	...and has been up for 76 days, and only that little because of
needing to change some system settings to install Oracle

Now, granted, the definition of a "desktop" get hazy when you're talking
about an Ultra 60, but I've got my feet on it, so as far as I'm concerned,
its a desktop.  I'm sure proportionately we have people doing much more on a
price-performance basis with Linux.

Jer