Re: [TCLUG:17090] DSL with Cisco 675

Hello,

>I am thinking about signing up for DSL service, probably through
>US West, to connect to my ISP (skypoint).

Good choice.

>US West uses Cisco 675 devices (as near as I can tell).

Correct, if you have purchased the external modem, it will be the 675.

>According to the Cisco product information, the 675 supports NAT. Does
>anybody use that feature?

It does, which is how I run a silly little webserver from my linux box
behind the 675 / hub combo that provides net access to my small LAN. I can
give you all of the setup info if you like. In addition, there is a
users.uswest.net page that has basic info on the procedure (although buried)

-also- there are some technical inaccuracies in the CBOS documentation..
like the fact that the later CBOS does not seem to support usernames, just
'exec' and 'enable' access levels.

>I plan to connect my Indy to the DSL line, and my dual boot
>Windows/Linux box, and possibly a loaner laptop.
>If the 675 has NAT turned on, then I wouldn't need to build
>(or configure) a Linux box to do it.

I assume you will be running the DCHP server on the 675.. either way, the
setup should be slick and easy as pie.. 'el perfecto' as we used to say in
the cigar industry. :)

>For that matter, the 675 supports firewall functions.  Is anybody
>using that?

Yes, firewalling is pretty much the default mode when running PPP. Enjoy!

Bill Layer
Sales Technician
<b.layer@vikingelectronics.com>

      Viking Electronics, Inc.
        1531 Industrial St.
     Hudson, WI. 54016 - U.S.A
       715.386.8861 ext. 210
  <http://www.vikingelectronics.com>

"Telecom Solutions for the 21st Century"