SETI@Home

OK, since I tried compiling SETI@Home I've been getting a message every
time I log in stating that a new version of KDE has been downloaded, it
erases all of my settings for news server mail server Kppp, and desk
top.  What gives? is this normal for SETI does anyoneknow?  I'm still
kinda feeling my way along but this just doesn't seem right.
I'm running Caldera v 2.3 compiled for dual proccessors, with scsi
module and raid 0,1,5 modules .
  I also heard there were some weaknesses in Caldera that will need to
be plugged it I plan to use it to firewall my home system when I get DSL
connected.  What are they holes, how do I plug them?
  Thanks.