Re: [TCLUG:17357] XFree86 and Hercules monochrome

> From: Gabe Turner (officer) <dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu>
> Linux + X on a 386?!  Now I call that pain! ;)  Really though, if you were once
> running X on it, then X should still run on it.  They tend to leave in all of
> their legacy support (why do you think it's getting so big? :)
>
> Gabe
>

> > At the installfest I hope to revive an old system that can use a
> > Hercules-clone video card and monochrome monitor.

But the list of supported cards for XFree86 4.0 does not list the Hercules
monochrome card as supported.

http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/Status.html

http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

So, unless there is a way to use a Hercules monochrome clone as a frame
buffer device, I don't know if I can find a way to run X with a modern
distribution.

(It's not absolutely required that I run X, but there are some advantages
to being able to do so.)

dsc