Re: [TCLUG:17600] Compact Slackware

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jonathan Kline wrote:

> Okay Okay....
> 	How much RAM would be required on a box with 2 ethernet
> interfaces, and acting as a DHCP server and gateway/firewall for 5 boxes?
> Right now it's a 486 DX2 @ 50mhz w/ 8mb RAM and 300mb HD.....
>
> 	What package sets are absolutley neccessary for slack?  All I need
> is the basic os, ipchains and it's required libraries, and the telnet
> server, along with joe, and shadow passwords........

Exactly how slim do you need? :) You can do this in the 8meg machine very
easily.  Just install A, AP, N, and all the kernel modules.  You wont need
any developer stuff (so skip the other package sets entirely).  In fact,
that's what I normally do during the course of installation.  I set the fs's
up, and install a, ap, and N (which only takes a few minutes), then reboot
and configure.  Meanwhile, I browse the web with lynx and telnet while I
install the remainder of the system:)

300M harddisk is plenty of space for other things also, but there's no
reason to run things you dont need on the system.

Drop in a good firewall config, and disable everything but telnet (or ssh,
depending on your preferences), and voila.

I'd encourage you to look at the linux router project, however.  It's far
slimmer (one floppy), saving your harddisk for other things :)

-David