Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> "We want to support the momentum of Open Source operating systems such as
> Linux® and FreeBSD by developing an Open Motif® licence for use with
> Open Source operating systems."

My personal pet peeve: too many licences. Why create a new licence? We
have several perfectly good ones: the advertisement-clause-free BSD
license, the GPL, the LGPL, and the MPL. Why does every "open source"
project that pops up have to create its own licence?! By not going BSD,
GPL or LGPL, you make your code incompatible with the _large body_ of
GPL'd code. By not going BSD, you ensure that while code changes from
outside sources can certianly be incorporated into _your_ project, nothing
_you_ make can find its way back into a BSD project (and thus, GPL'd
projects). This is lame. But then, maybe that's the point.

Luke