Bash tip...hashing

<bash tip>

If you're using bash, it hashes all of the commands you execute from the shell.

For example, we have 'ps' in both /home/chewie/bin (shell script wrapper) and
/bin (system executable).  We've executed the wrapper but decide we don't like
it, so we move it or remove the symbolic link pointing to /home/chewie/bin/ps,
and try to execute 'ps', expecting the system executable to be used.  Instead
we get some error saying that /home/chewie/bin/ps cannot be found...

To fix this, we type:
	$ hash -r

...to remove/wipe the hash table.  If you type 'hash' previous to wiping it,
you will see the entry for 'ps' in the stack.

</bash tip>

And now back to your regularily scheduled programming...

--
^chewie

PGP signature