Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

> GPL does not gaurantee you make any profit before anybody else.  RedHat is
> proof of that.

Which I suspect is a big reason behind all these wacky different flavors
of licensing -- folks are apparently trying different recipes to guarantee
some level of protection (of profits, as well as intellectual property),
but somehow tap into the advantages of public input.

Then there's the change in mindset required when considering a product
whose Owners have a long history _and_ current environment of proprietary
material. That's not trivial to overcome.

The moral is, which recipe is "best" depends entirely on the cost function
of the one(s) evaluating it. I know if I were Sun, I'd have a different
perspective than if I were just a clever dude who'd written some nifty
code. At the moment, since I'm neither of those, I'm delighted about the
open source / GPL stuff I have access to, but don't think it's a panacea.

Andy Scherrer