Re: [TCLUG:17728] Motif has gone opensource!

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> > > If you release it under GPL - you certainly won't be hired to use your
> code
> > > commercially (typically not opensource) - you will have to rewrite it -
> >
> > Nope.  The guys who came up with samba, ext2, LVM, etc.. to name a few
> > don't write GPL software for commercial envrions at this point, do they?
> > </scarasm>
>
> Isn't that what I was saying?  You aren't likely to be hired to write a
> commercial version of your software if you released your software opensource
> GPL.  You would have to rewrite your code instead of use your existing code
> base (provided they want to use a restricted commercial license - safely
> assumed in most cases).  Under BSD, you can use the code you started with
> and then extend it for commercial purposes and use whatever license you like
> for it.  The original code remains BSD for the rest of the world to use.

Wrong. As long as you maintain full copyright you may release your code
under _any_ license you wish at any time. GPL only becomes a problem
for relicensing in cases like the Linux kernel where copyright is
shared (I know that I wouldn't give my approval in that case, and there
are many others who would not as well).

Daniel Taylor                Embedded and custom Linux integration.
dante@plethora.net           (612)747-1609