DHCP with RedHat

I am trying to set up a linux box onto a cable modem (Astound here in St.
Cloud) and I'm having trouble getting eth0 to obtain an IP address.  I do
an ifup eth0 and it says it's trying to obtain an IP, but fails.  I've got
LAN activity when it's trying to resolve an IP, and after it fails if I do
a 'ps ax' I see that pump is still running.  I had a similar problem when
trying to connect to the LAN at St. Cloud State.  I've heard a rumor that
you need to disable pump, but I have no idea how to do that.  Does anyone
have ideas?  TIA

-Brian