Re: [TCLUG:18254] Dual headed video cards

Quoting Yaron (jethro@freakzilla.com):
> > Even if X supports dual-monitors, are the window managers up to the task?
>
> X4.0 supports not only 'standard' dual-head (ie, running two seperate
> displays at once, so you have :0 and :1), but it also supports Xinerama,
> which will use both (or, in fact, all) of your monitors as one big happy
> desktop. This is supported on Matrox cards, even if you have multiple
> cards rather than a dualhead G400.
>
> I guess most, if not all window managers are not
> Xinerama-aware. Enlightenment might be since Raster uses both Xinerama and
> obviously Enlightenment (;

I know this work under Enlightenment. I saw it, and I dug around. Here is some
proof. :-)

I was sitting about 10 rows back on this one.

http://marc.merlins.org/linux/lwce_summer99/Day2/Keynotes/Intel.html

Comment on the photo says:

Another funny thing is that Mandrake demoed Enlightenment and Xinerama, which
are really cool ways of using that spare CPU you might have, or a good reason
to buy more CPUs, or a multi-CPU system.  I wonder why Intel wanted to demo
this?

http://www.enlightenment.org/news.html

Sun Mar 26 2000 announcement

We just got done adding real xinerama support to E this weekend. Now you have
edge resistance moving windows between heads, windows will always pop up on
the currently focused head (unless it wants to go someplace else by geom
settings or you have it saved to go someplace else), maximize (unless you use
"absolute" maximize) stays on the current head also. If you have xinerama and
you run E out of CVS, test this and give us feedback.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500