apache php stuff

Ok, I tweaked with some stuff, and suddenly, my former question was
answered, and is now working...

Now, my question to all the masses is::

I've got a php application on my machine.  I do not have mod_php.so
installed.  Accessing the index.php file, apache returns the source php,
instead of html as it ought...

If I rename the script index.php3, it behaves properly.

I'd really rather not rename all the php files, and recode all the php
references in the code.

Is there a way to get php to behave the way I want??  Does it require that I
get the mod_php.so module?  Where would I get such a thing? etc...

Brian