Quake and serial mice!

Here's a question that has been bothering me for some time now.  How can
I reset a serial port without cold-booting?  Occasionally, my mouse
locks up when I run two programs that use the mouse.  I've run two X
servers a few times (for testing, etc.) and the mouse would lock up.  It
occurs most often when I run Quake from XWindows (I run XQF to get a
server, then run Quake.)

This aggravates me, because it's the only reason I shut down these
days..  It's especially bothersome when I'm running X programs, and then
have Quake crash the mouse.  (X programs should really learn how to use
the keyboard..)

Thanks,

Mike Hicks