Re: [TCLUG:69] Timezones

Michael Hicks wrote:
> Anyway, to the important stuff.  When I run Netscape and WordPerfect,
> they both think that I'm living in the GMT timezone.  I correctly set
> the timezone to US/Central when I installed, and there is a symbolic
> link /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central.  Are there any
> other files that may not have been correctly set?
>
> I have seen a file /etc/adjtime.  Does it do anything?  It's contents
> right now are '0.0 0.0'  Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I'm running RH 4.2 but I think this should work under 5.0 also.  Check
out man 8 clock; it has instructions on how to set the CMOS clock.  I
skipped the last 2 steps:

              e)     replace the first number in /etc/adjtime  by
                     your correction.

< I'm not sure what they meant by correction but this didn't seem to
matter>

              f)     put  the  command  clock  -au or clock -a in
                     your /etc/rc.local, or let cron(8) start  it
                     regularly.

< this is aready done for you in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit >

Also, for reference, /etc/sysconfig/clock has a line UTC=true if you set
your hardware clock to GMT (so it handles daylight savings properly).
You can also run timeconfig from a command prompt to modify this file if
you want.  I believe the ARC=false line applies to Sun hardware.

If you dual boot with Win95, be sure to uncheck the box "auto adjust
clock for daylight savings" in the date configuration.  If you don't do
this, the first time you boot 95 after a time change, 95 will change the
clock and you'll have to reset it (instructions in man 8 clock) under
linux again.  The time will be GMT under win95 (+5 HRS); a non-issue for
me, I don't run 95.
;-)

There's also info on www.redhat.com under support.

Hope this helps.
--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26