Re: [TCLUG:184] X Windows Control Panel

> even though I have made this mess work.  The problem I'm having is with the
> Control Panel in X-windows.  Some of the functions, such as the printer
> config tool and the file system tool don't work anymore.  I've done a 'ps
> ef' and see that there are zombie processes started each time I try to run
> one of the non-functioning tools.

Have you upgraded your gtk?  These tools you're describing are redhat
tools that use (and older) version of gtk.  Mine broke once I moved up to
gtk 1.0.0 (now 1.0.1, but I'm not that current).  You might try grabbing
the SRPMS for those tools and rebuilding them.  I tried it, and it didn't
fix it, but I didn't puch more than 15 minutes effort into the whole
thing as I don't use the control-panel much.

> Are there any command line tools to do the same functions?  I usually don't
> have X-windows running, and it would be nice not to have to start it up just
> to do some simple configuration.

Definately.  The file system tool has a text version called cabeet that
should've been installed.  There's some a newer version in the errata
section at redhat too, that's probably worth grabbing.  The some of the
printer tools functionality can be found in the text mode installation
program that came with rh5, and you can run specific parts of the install
if you want.

And, I suppose I wouldn't be a unix biggot if I didn't point out that all
of the functionality of both tools can be found in vi. :)

--
Ry4an Brase - http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~ry4an - 612-623-9946
'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if