an interesting problem

Hi all

Here is an interesting situation.

In an attempt to update my 'rpm' package from 2.3.11 to 2.4.12,
I used 'rpm -ev rpm' to remove it, It gave me a couple of warnings

cannot remove /usr/src/redhat/SPECS - directory not empty
cannot remove /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES - directory not empty
cannot remove /usr/src/redhat - directory not empty

but apparently removed the package.

And now comes the tricky part. I want to install the new rpm package
using
'rpm -iv rpm-2.4.12-1.i386.rpm ' but oh, oh! I don't have the rpm
package
installed on my system. Catch 22, I guess.

I can install it from the .gz but I'm hoping there is a workaround for
it.

Another question, Have I lost my rpm database too ? If so, can it be
rebuilt?

Thanks
Nishi