Odd chatter (was: Re: bash error and fat32)

On Wed, 20 May 1998 mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu wrote:

> >I concur 100%, except to add that 'pico' is also great for essays and term
> >papers. ;)
>
> Depending on how much you care about the paper -- I've had a few classes
> where I felt like using cat > file to write papers.

rotfl

> >He who is without /usr is indeed a sad man.
>
> Or a plan9 user.  Or a HURD beta tester.

Have you ever tried HURD? I've always wanted to but never had a "spare"
computer.

> /usr is a historical accident dating back to the early seventies.

What?!? Something in Unix a historical accident? Surely you jest.

> It persists mainly on tradition.  I know I wouldn't miss it if it
> were gone -- not to say it wouldn't feel odd for a week or two....

You and I are alone, it seems. I proposed a directory reshuffling on the
Project Independence list, and the kids there almost had a shit fit...

> Plan9 is a really cool looking system.

Can you tell me/us more about it?

> Second, it requires two machines to run at all, and three if you want
> decent performance.

!!! What is it, a multi-processing thingie or something?

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerfire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/