Re: [TCLUG:361] Re: Fwd: [TCLUG:352] Promoting Linux to business

i'd put $5 into a pot to buy say.. 5k cards
both kinkos, and the thing in the back of office max both send out cards to an
outside printing source.. it's cheep, its fast (4 days) and you can have any
kind of cards you want..

On 09-Jun-98 Scot Jenkins wrote:
> I agree with Clay's statements.  I too run Linux "unofficially" at work
> on 2 machines (one is a 486 that I had to con my manager into letting me
> keep).  It's just impossible to run perfview on HP under reflection-X
> emulation (just core dumps and I don't know why nor do I care to waste
> the time to find out).  It's just easier to fire up the real thing
> (linux) and do my job.  I'd be lost without Linux.
>
> Clay Fandre wrote:
>> biggest obstacle I face is the lack of knowledge about Linux.
>
> Or UNIX in general.  This seems to be a common thread among many IS
> shops; no one knows it and most are afraid or unwilling to learn it.
>
>> ...The lack of technical support.... They [management] want to see the
>> reliable service contracts that cost thousands per month with big-name
>> companies, like Sun, HP, etc. This is a security blanket for the company.
>> And that, in my opinion,  is the biggest problems Linux faces today.
>
> This too is very true.
>
> BTW - I like Mike's idea about printing up business cards with TCLUG
> contact info on them.  I think it would be good for all of us to have
> them and distribute with the contacts we have in the work place.  This
> might help to "get the word out."  You can buy the precut cards
> relatively inexpensively and print them on a good quality laser printer
> and they look nice.  This is the cheap way; we could also design a TCLUG
> logo (or just use Tux) and have some "professionally" printed -- the
> expensive way.
>
> --
> Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
> Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer