Re: [TCLUG:548] Linux with Adobe PhotoShop - Is it a good idea?

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 whisper@bitstream.net wrote:

> just to let you know, adobe acrobat reader is available for linux, i just
> used it a little bit ago.

Well, obviously, I have it too. But it's a media viewer, not a media
editor.

> a good 80% of the people who use adobe could easily get by with gimp, they
> would hardly "gimp" along.

Well, people who only use Photoshop that lightly probably would be
flabbergasted at the GIMP interface. (This set of people includes me I
mean, please -- right click on the image for the main menu?? What??)

> gimp is an incredibly powerfull program and has many pluses over adobe.

It *does* have many good features, and I'm liking it more and more these
days. But it has a lot of room to grow, and Photoshop, albeit commercial,
is a superior product. Adobe products are generally some of the best
commercial products on the market. It's not really fair to compare;
Photoshop is years old, while GIMP is still quite new.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/