Re: [TCLUG:809] Laptops, anyone?

Forrest Cahoon wrote:

> Does anyone have any laptop experiences to share, positive or negative?

I currently run Linux (Redhat 4.2) on my personal IBM Thinkpad model
385CD.  I love it!  I take it everytime I travel anywhere.  My ISP is
IBM.NET so I can connect via a local call virtually anywhere.  In fact,
I'm writing this on my Thinkpad in San Diego, CA right now.

Keyboard: full sized and has a sensable layout (as close to a true 101
as you can get on a laptop).  It's the best thing I've ever typed on.
Plus no stupid win95 keys and has ctrl & alt keys on both left and right
sides.  Try one and you'll see what I mean.  The 380 series also has a
nice palm rest.  It you want to use external keyboard & mouse together,
you need a splitter cable $30.

Mouse: Trackpoint (erase thing between G & H keys).  I find I have
better control with this then an external mouse.  Plus it's less to
carry when you travel.  Works under X and with gpm in text mode
consoles.

Video: Initially the video chip was not supported; has a NeoMagic
Magicgraph 128ZV.  You could run XF86 but only in 16 colors (you can
only run Netscape in mono which is acceptable for email but not web
browsing).  I opted for the Accelerated X server ($200) which works
great.  Of course, shortly after purchasing AccelX, Redhat release an
XF86 server for the Neomagic (says it works on 380 series Thinkpads).
1MB video ram.

Sound: couldn't get the 2.0.32 kernel to compile successfully when I
included sound support.  I purchased OSS sound driver for $20.  It too
works great.  Sound chip is CS4232 non PnP on motherboard.

Tech specs: P150MMX, 16M base, I added 32M (total 48M; machine accepts
only one memory expansion DIMM), 2GB hard disk, 8x CDROM; both cdrom and
floppy are built in and can be used at same time.  I added IBM 56k
PCMCIA modem and 3com 3c589d combo (10BT/10B2) PCMCIA ethernet card.
The modem has X-jack connector, so put it in top slot and then you can
use both modem and ethernet at same time.  Lithion Ion battery; I've
been able to get about 2.5 hrs out of it running X and a couple text
consoles, less if using modem.  The battery is speced at 2.6 hrs.  It
seems to charge pretty quick.   The thinkpad has a built in fan that
cycles when needed to keep the unit cool.  It's much cooler then my NEC.

At work, I was issued a NEC versa 6050 (which I believe is the same
model/brand that VarResearch uses for their Linux laptops).  This NEC
model was made by Packard Hell.  The thing is heavy, the battery doesn't
last long at all and takes forever to charge, you need to reboot to
switch floppy or cdrom drives (ie, can't use both at once; this is an
issue when you need too boot off a floppy and install from cd), the
thing has the WORST keyboard I've ever typed on and the keys are in the
wrong places, the keys are too small and too close together for touch
typing (~ is somewhere by the spacebar, the DEL key is in a senseless
position, only one set of ctrl & alt keys, I could go on...)  The thing
runs hot like a grill.  I think if you poured batter on it and closed
the lid, it would make good waffles.  Also requires splitter cable to
use keybd & mouse at same time.

My Thinkpad has been totally reliable for me.  It's not too heavy (it's
lighter then the NEC they gave me at work).  When I travel, even for
business, I take my Thinkpad and leave my NEC at home.  I tell everyone
at work to email me at my IBM acct.

Have I sold you on a Thinkpad yet?  If you need more info, just ask.

Here are some useful URLs:

Linux on Thinkpads:
http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html
http://www.wwsi.com/linux-tp.html

Graphics info:
http://www.neomagic.com/
http://www.xig.com/

OSS Sound:
http://www.4front-tech.com/

Thinkpad info:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/support/thinkpad
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/

ISP: http://www.ibm.net

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26