Re: [TCLUG:809] Laptops, anyone?

Hi all:

I have been successfully running RedHat 5.0.1
with XFree86 on a Fujitsu 635T since last fall.

You need to be careful when selecting a laptop,
since (unlike their desktop counterparts), you
are greatly limited as to what you can change
when there is an incompatibility.  So far, I have
found absolutely no incompatibilities or problems
with this system.  I can say that other models of
Fuitsu laptops do have their incompatibilities.
My laptop uses widely supported hardware for
the video chipset, sound, etc.  But, I picked it
on that basis.  I really think that, rather than the
particular brand, support for the hardware is the
big issue.  There is a laptop for Linux website
that you can get to from the RedHat web page.

The NeoMagic video chipset is proprietary and
requires you to purchase a commercial X server,
while laptops such as mine use the C&T 65550,
which is widely supported.  The tradeoff is that
the C&T chipset my laptop uses only provides
800x600 resolution to the internal screen (1280x1024
to an external monitor).

For sound, my system uses the ESS 1878, which
(though more capable than the SB-16) is also
register compatible with the SB-16.

I found my laptop to be very reliable and have never
had a problem with it so far.  In addition to running
Linux, I also run Win98 to use the laptop as a full-
blown digital audioworkstation with Cakewalk Pro
Audio Deluxe 7.0, Sound Forge 4.0x, and Finale 98.
My PCMCIA SCSI card (Adaptec 1460) connects
to a Panasonic 7502B to master CDs.  For high
quality digital audio recording, I have the EMU8710
PCMCIA card.  All this stuff works without a hitch.

I am not necessarily recommending my particular
laptop, since there are so many good ones to be
found of many different brands.  But, I chose mine
on the basis of its potential multi-media capabilities
and its use of widely supported hardware.  This unit
turned out to be a very good choice for my needs.
I did have to upgrade it to 80 MB RAM (from 32 MB)
and to a 4 GB HD (from 1.3 GB) to use it as a DAW.

Because of its limited upgradeability, I think any
laptop purchase is somewhat of a compromise.
Therefore, it is important to identify clearly what
your requirements are and make sure the laptop
you buy fits those.  By thinking it through thoroughly
ahead of time, you will know where to compromise
(e.g. 800x600 is fine for me, but any midi or sound,
or Linux hardware compatibility problems could not
be tolerated, for example).

Tony