RE: [TCLUG:858] Monitors

two part message:  part one CTX testimonial  part two question re:
greyscale monitors

I've had pretty good luck with CTX monitors.  The first one I had
survived 1 cross ocean move (from Hawaii) and lasted more than 5 years.
 Power fluctuation finally killed it (at least the computer was on the
surge supressor).  I replaced it this spring with a CTX EX700.  I've also
had 3 different CTX monitors at work.  I've never had a problem with any
of them except that the low-end models purchased by accounting don't
support a decent refresh rate at anything above 1024 x 768 (Word of
advice, always specify which specific models are acceptable when doing a
purchase order.  Accounting/purchasing departments don't know jack about
monitors and they'll buy the cheapest model if you just specify size,
i.e. 17" monitor.)  Came with 5-BNC, standard PC DSUB, and Mac option.
 The cable plugs in rather than being attached, so I can swap out any of
my machines.  Kind of nice for working on some of the old workstations.
 So far I've used it with a Sun, an SGI, an old HP 400 series, and a
NeXTStation in addition to my PC.  It's a 17" tube with resolution rated
to 1280 x 1024 @ 80 Hz.  The moire is pretty bad at 1280 x 1024, but all
the other resolutions look pretty good.  I've tried it at 1152 x 900
(Sun), 1024 x 768 (SGI), 1120 x 824 (NeXT) as well as the standard PC 640
x 480, 800 x 600, and 1024 x 768.  Not bad for less than $450.

Has anybody tried using a greyscale monitor with Linux?  I've looked into
getting an EIZO 6600 (21" 1600 x 1280 @ 75 Hz max) because I do a lot of
text only work and the greyscale monitors seem to provide noticeably
sharper text.  They were also a lot cheaper than color 21" monitors last
fall when I was looking.  I was wondering which X server would be used or
if the colors just get converted into greyscale.