Re: [TCLUG:953] security

Serge M. Egelman wrote:

> a couple days ago someone hacked into my dad's octane (he was stupid and
> forgot to delete the 'demo' account on there).  anyways, they set up snffing
> and got onto my linux box, now I have to completely reinstall linux (along
> with irix) because the security has been compromised.  Anyways, my question
> is: Is there any other way of securing a system besides deleting the
> defaults, shadowing the passwords, and getting rid of anon ftp?

Yes, learn all you can about the ipfwadm package (IP firewall
administration).  You can use it to secure your network connection -
restrict services to trusted IP addresses only, block unneeded TCP/IP
ports, make certain services one-way only, etc.  Keep up to date with
the security patches as they come out.  Restrict access to the console
if that's possible at your location.

One Linux security resource I found just now is
http://ryanspc.dyn.ml.org/security.html.

> Also, is it
> worth it to contact the fbi or the secret service (I think they're the ones
> who handle computer crime now?)?

No idea.  Depends on the damage, I would guess.  You'd get better advice
from the police, I'd think.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator