RE: [TCLUG:996] Samba clarification

> > >From then on, at that machine, all I do (assuming I set it up
> so that the
> > Samba share is automatically mapped to drive d: at startup) is run
> > "d:\winword.exe". Of course the exact path to the Word binary may vary.
> >
> Yes.
>
> Only problem is that any dll's that it installed in the system
> directory won't be on the other machines and therefore you're
> screwed again.  So you can keep a copy of the windows directory
> on the Linux machine and point everything at that, could be a
> real pain, or since you've already fallen to the dark so of using
> Microsoft, get NT and set it up to do dll serving.  I don't know
> how to do it, but we did it at school and it worked real nice.
> Whatever dll's the machine running the application doesn't have,
> it asks the NT machine for.

	There should be a setup.exe program you can run from the network that will
stash some dll's and registry entries on the W95 machines.  Although NT
servers will often automatically detect missing dll's and download them for
you, there's never any necessity for that -- otherwise you couldn't use
Novell servers.