Re: [TCLUG:1051] My niece's box

Richard Seymour wrote:

> While vacationing in Oregon, I helped my niece set up her Linux box. We
> got pretty far, but there were two main areas left to configure properly.
>
> (Using Red Hat 5.1)
>
> 1. When she tries to load X, it fails. I am assuming that it is a problem
> with the video driver. Her "video card" is integrated into the mother
> board. What approach to configuring X do I tell her to take?

Lowest common denominator approach works here:  Try to set up the VGA-16
XFree86 server using Xconfigurator.  VGA-16 should work on any
well-designed VGA-or-above video card.  Also, find out what video chip
is in her computer.  That should tell you what other X Window versions
will give you the best results.  You may have better luck with Metro-X
than with one of the XFree86 servers, or vice versa.

> 2. She is connected to a Windoze 95 peer-to-peer network in her house.
> (My brother in law's a real geek, but not too familiar with Linux yet.) We
> installed Samba and can see her computer from the Win95 boxes, but are not
> authenticating properly when we try to get to her box at all. I'm sorry I
> can't remember the exact Win95 error reported back, but I do remember it
> contains a dollar sign $ :). What approach solving this issue.

Sounds like a problem with a hidden share used during the authentication
process.  Is your Samba box set up with USER-level security or
SHARE-level security in /etc/smb.conf?  Is she using the same username
on both the Windows box and the Linux box?

> After issues 1. and 2. are solved, I'll try to help her with connecting to
> her ISP.

netcfg is your friend.  Don't leave your LAN without it! <g>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
> anarchy@anarchysoftware.com
>
> The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.

Oh dear, so your employer speaks for you even when you're on vacation?!
;-)

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator