Re: [TCLUG:1041] Official InstallFest Announcement

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Richard Seymour wrote:

> If I bring my 486SX-24 Mhz laptop *without a CD* will someone be able to
> help me turn it into a Linux machine? (It is currently running Win95.)

Hi Richard and everyone,

Clay is correct about the time. We have to be out of Sibley at 3 pm.
(It's a long story. Suffice it to say that budget cuts have forced my
district to cut the weekend custodial staff.) I will be in the building by
9 am. I will have the door open so you can get in at that time. So anyone
who is up early on a Sat. can be here at 9 and have 6 hours to get their
machines running.

Re: Richard's laptop. I have a parallel port CD-ROM drive that will be
available on Sat. It's recognized during the RedHat 5.1 setup so it's easy
to use. Unfortunately, it's also slow as molasses.

Also available on Sat.:

* high-speed (T1) Internet access with many empty ports on a 10base-T hub.
* some spare VGA monitors, mice, and keyboards for setup. Make sure you
bring your own monitor if you really want to get X configured.
* a few spare NICs (3C509). If others have some, you should probably bring
them.

Papa John's does deliver to Sibley so I think we have lunch covered. Let
me know if there's something else you need, and I'll see if I can get it
in advance of Sat. I hope to have some Sibley students come in and see
what's up. I don't think there are many with Linux experience (yet), but
some may want to learn something.

See you Sat.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your