Re: [TCLUG:1152] cable modems from mediaone

that reminds me of the other DSL bonus.. USWest is having a little bit fo
software trouble.. if you buy the 256K package, they can't restrict it to
256K.. so until they figure it out.. you will likely get 640 or so.. depending
on location.

yes.. you are right about the 8 IP's with USwest service.  from what i have
seen the IP's arnt static, but are dynamicaly requested by the DSL box.. so as
long as the DSL box turned on.. you will keep the same IP's.. (time to get a
UPS :)

On 14-Sep-98 Shannon Moon wrote:
> Ben Kochie wrote:
>>

>> DSL is 2 way, same ratio 256, 512, 768, and 1MB (then it goes to different
>> ratios)  from talking to a USWest rep.. you _CAN_ get the free DSL box and
>> ethernet card if you get the 512k package.. which will cost you an extra 30
>> month.. and you still get to keep the DSL box, and card  USWest DSL is also
>> currently allowing up to 8 IP addresses.. just plug an 8port hub in. :)
>

> I went with the USWest package. There info on IP addresses is a little
> misleading.
> Wwhile there are 8 IP addresses, 3 of them are reserved (Gateway,
> Broadcast, etc),
> so you actually only get 5 static addresses for your use.
>
> So far I've been very happy with their service. Line quality is food at
> my location,
> with around 640/540 stream rates.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)