Re: [TCLUG:1298] HP 820 cse printer

Sometime around the 21th of September in 1998, a certain Mark Dunnett said:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I have the above mentioned printer, and run Linux Redhat 5.1 on a Dell
> P200. Not thinking clearly when I bought it, it is "Windows" compatible,
> which for almost a year meant only Win 95. HP has finally come out with an
> NT driver for it.
>
> I haven't gotten it to work under Linux at all. I've tried printing ASCII
> directly to the port and I've tried using a driver for a different HP
> deskjet. I have two questions - anybody have any ideas on using this
> printer, and if not, anybody familiar with writing Linux device drivers?
>
> I'm willing to give the programming a shot, but I'm not sure how I would
> determine the specific calls to this printer.

I was having problems with my HP printer as well (a 855C, which is 550C
compatible) and although I don't recall whether or not it was 'Windows
compatible', it works printing ascii if I use a utility called 'hpset'
which comes in a package called hptools. It'll print postscript fine (I
use apsfilter 4.9.1) without hpset.

I believe I obtained both tools from sunsite, but if you can't find them
there, I have them on anon ftp on jellyd.resnet.mtu.edu (I can't get
my damn dns server working right to use my real hostname :P) in

/pub/linux/unsorted/hptools-1.2.3.tar.gz
/pub/linux/unsorted/apsfilter-4.9.1.tar.gz

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |