Re: [TCLUG:1452] Freaky new LILO messages

> This is documented in the Large Disk mini-HOWTO.  The gist is that
> a Linux kernel can only be booted when it is entirely located within
> the first 1024 cylinders.

Heh.. I figured this out after a while -- does anyone know a way to
"shove" a file into the first part of a disk?  I suppose I'll check that
mini-HOWTO...

A temporary fix that (sorta) works is running '/sbin/lilo -l' which
apparently uses linear addressing instead of CHS addressing..  whatever
that means.

Right now, I have 3 kernels, 2 of which boot..  2.1.123 just dies at
LILO with an error similar to "Error 0x00 loading kernel"  My 2.1.118
(which is the most recent kernel that has been stable on my system) will
now work (it previously made /sbin/lilo spit out that geometry error..)
and my trusty old 2.0.35 also works..

Anyway, I guess that's irrelevant...

Mike Hicks