RE: [TCLUG:1649] couple of ???

<snip>
> What I am looking for is a simple program that logs system stats like
> CPU usage MEM usage both real and swap, and Disk space.  I have seen a few
> programs but they all need X and I want something I can run in text.

Have you looked at the free monitoring tool Big Brother?  I use it at work,
and it handles by default at least 75% of what you are seeking.  Web site is
http://maclawran.ca/bb-dnld/

You can customize it however you want to get the stats you need, and have it
page you automatically if a server is overloading.  It can monitor anything
with an IP address.

(No, they don't pay me, I just like this tool a WHOLE LOT.)

>   Next question, I am looking at getting a cable modem with MediaOne
> Express, anybody done this yet? I don't like the fact that it is 1.5Mps
> down and only 33.6Kps up but other then that what is the feel?  I am also
> planning on making a Linux box for Masqurading IP's for my home network
> when I get this too.

It's tempting, though their "free installation" deal expired Sep. 30 AFAIK.
Haven't used them, though I might in a month or two if nothing better comes
up.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator