Re: [TCLUG:1826] web page writing tool

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Ben Luey wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a program to help to writing a web page. I'm not
> doing anything fancy and I don't have the time to spend doing the html by
> hand in a text editor. I find netscape communicator's composer too
> user-friendly at the expense of power, control and producing
> short, well-written code (very similiar to windows).

Doing it by hand in a text editor is not appreciably slower, especially if
you have a good one like Emacs or BBEdit that has special HTML extensions
(nice keyboard shortcuts and such -- Emacs is great).

Or are you talking about taking the time to learn HTML? It sounds that if
you're dissatisfied with the pseudo-WYSIWYG programs that you're ready to
take the time to learn the real stuff -- which, btw, is actually very very
easy. (Forgive me if I'm underestimating your knowledge; I don't know what
you already know.)

I make my cash by doing Web things, and I honestly think that it's worth
it to spend a weekend learning HTML 4.0 (hit <www.w3.org>), because doing
it right the first time is much faster than debugging gross stuff from an
authoring environment like Netscape Composer or *gasp* DreamWeaver.

Hth. :)

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/