Re: [TCLUG:1986] dev kernel

Hi
    This is a good feature of redhat 5.1. Unfortunately, it seems no
document about it. The design of rc.sysinit of RH5.1 will give system the
ability to use the right modules version with any kernel you compiled.
Basically, you need a file .rhkmvtag in each modules dir. Say
/lib/modules/2.0.34-0.6/.rhkmvtag, /lib/modules/2.1.126/.rhkmvtag
The content of this file must be the same as /proc/version when you boot
with the corresponding kernel. Thus the init script can link the right
modules to /lib/modules/preferred. So for your case, boot with new kernel,
then give the following command:
cat /proc/version > /lib/modules/2.1.126/.rhkmvtag
    You also need to modify the /etc/rc.sysinit, since the original file
only consider the kernel 2.0.xx. Just find the following line:
mtag=`grep -l "$ktag" /lib/modules/2.0.*/.rhkmvtag`
Change it to:
mtag=`grep -l "$ktag" /lib/modules/2.[01].*/.rhkmvtag`
    After reboot, the right modules should be loaded.
    Hope this will help you.