Upper left corner sagging Sony 400PS 19" moniter

Problem:

Sony Multiscan 400 PS  19" monitor bought 9-14-1998.  Starting 3" from top
left corner, the monitor image sags to 1/8".  Monitor does this even while on
another computer in a different place (room) than my desk.  A different
monitor connected to my PC on my desk does not sag.  Sony technicians said
something is pulling the picture down.  Asked what I had next to the
monitor.  I have one desk lamp, and a coffee can with pens in to.  Speakers
are on floor and not plugged in.  Power plugs go into a surge protector
strip.  Sony says that I have to bring it to the service center in St. Louis
Park.  Further, before this monitor I used a Dell 15" on a Dell P90 for three
years.  That monitor sagged the same way.  I attributed that to it's age.
What is happening?  Can I check my house for what is pulling down the
picture?  Is the new Sony easily fixed by the service center or do they
actually have to replace the picture tupe?  Maybe I should put the PC and
monitor (once it's fixed) on the opposite side of the room.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Mark Jefferis