Re: [TCLUG:2252] RH5.2 install

In a message dated 11/19/98, 10:00:59 AM, tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com
writes:
<<Has anyone gotten 5.2 to install? I've been trying an ftp install, but it
always fails when I get to the point of installing lilo. If I kill the
installer at that point and reboot, I get "LI" where I should get "LILO:".
(I know that the various letters mean something.) If I create a custom
bootdisk (the step right before writing lilo the the MBR), I can boot from
a floppy OK. Does this match your experience?>>

Doesn't it just stand for LInux LOader ?

You can try re-installing it on the MBR after you have booted up using the
floppy.
Just make sure that the

/etc/lilo.conf looks correct. It should have something like :
boot=/dev/hda
install-/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=XX
image=/boot/vmlinuz-XXXX
       label ="Whatever label you want this to show up as"
      root=/dev/sda5
       initrd=/boot/initrd-XXXX.img
      read-only

Look in the /boot directory to find out the exact vmliunz and initrd files.
also make sure that the hard drive is /hda and set the timeout to whatever
value you need. You should already have all the above stuff in the
/etc/lilo.conf file anyway.

Then just run "lilo" from the command line. It should install itself using the
above configuration. See if that fixes the problem. Or just re-install lilo
using the rpm command  after you boot up and do the above

-re
sandipan