Re: [TCLUG:2308] gtk+1.1.3

On 22-Nov-98 Michael Hicks wrote:
>> Well, libglib.a doesn't point to anything, it's a 465492 byte file, tho it
>> isn't executable... should it be?  And libglib.so points to
>> libglib-1.1.so.4.0.0 which is also not an exacutable file...  Do these files
>> need to be executable?
>
> I think that is how it should be..  Libraries don't have to be
> executable, in my experience, although a lot of people will set them to
> be executable.
>
> You may want to try re-running /sbin/ldconfig, just to make sure that ld
> knows you have these new libraries..

I've run ldconfig...  I basically run it after everything I install just
incase....  And everything looks linked just fine...  I downloaded the gtk+
binaries and the compiled ORBit and that went just fine.  But when I tried to
configure gnome-libs, it tried to run a test on gtk+ and it fails saying:

checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.1... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK or finding the wrong
*** version of GTK. If it is not finding GTK, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
***
*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package that
*** came with the system with the command
***
***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel
configure: error: GTK not installed
bash#

and here's a segment of what's printed when I run ldconfig -v

/usr/lib:
        libgtk-1.1.so.2 => libgtk-1.1.so.2.0.0
        libgdk-1.1.so.2 => libgdk-1.1.so.2.0.0

I've reverted to gtk+-1.1.2 and glib-1.1.3 because those are the only binaries
I could find on ftp.gnome.org... But according to the "Getting Started" page
there, this should be just fine.

I guess I'm really out of ideas now...  I think I'll try changing the prefix
and exec-prefix directories in gtk-config...

Thanks...

Gabe