Re: [TCLUG:2368] Connecting Windows to Internet through Linux

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Nate Carlson wrote:

> Hmmm.. have you made _SURE_ that your gateway on all the 95/NT boxes is
> set at the linux box's IP?

Checked. Double-checked.

> And have you removed the proxy configuration
> from the browsers on the Win95/NT boxes, or is it still pointing at the NT
> box? (That'd be my bet.).

Good bet. But, I had gone into Netscape and Opera and turned off Proxying.

> I'd drop to a dos box on a 95/NT
> machine and run 'ping ftp.cdrom.com'. If you get results, masquerading is
> working just fine.

Triple and quadruple Checked.

However, I did check to see if MS's proxy client was still running. I
found it and did an uninstall on the Windows 95 box, and my problem
disappeared.

So all be forwarned! If you install MS Proxy and later decide not to use
it, it is insufficient to configure your browsers to not use a proxy.
Windows apparantly makes them use the proxy anyway. Remove the proxy
client.

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.