Re: [TCLUG:2395] connecting to the U

Hello all:

Here's my ppp-on script.  It lives in /etc/ppp/scripts/ on my system.

Note that I have no /etc/ppp/options or /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0; I
think they're an abomination.  So the options below are all the
options I give to pppd.

John

#!/bin/sh
#
#  "ppp-on" is the first (and simpler) of the pair of scripts
#  ("ppp-on" & "ppp-on-dialer") that I use to make a PPP
#  connection.
#

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the location of the ppp-on-dialer script which dials
# the phone and logs in.
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/scripts/ppp-on-dialer

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Brief comments on some of the various options:
#
#   (/dev/ttyS0)               tty to talk to
#   (115200)                   baud rate
#   (asyncmap 20A0000)         set the control characters
#   (connect $DIALER_SCRIPT)   define script that sets up tty
#   (crtscts)                  use hardware control
#   (defaultroute)             add default route through PPP peer
#                                after negotiation success
#   (escape FF)                escape these characters on transmission
#   (lock)                     put UUCP-style file lock on tty
#   (modem)                    use modem-control lines
#   (noipdefault)              allow peer to assert IP addr of PPP client
#
# Don't forget the 'lock' option, or some programs such
# as mgetty will not work.  The asyncmap and escape will
# permit the PPP link to work with a telnet or rlogin
# connection.  Don't use the 'defaultroute' option if you
# already have a default route, like to an ethernet gateway.
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

exec /usr/sbin/pppd \
  /dev/ttyS0 \