Re: [TCLUG:2438] Somethings going to cost me a zillion dollars unless you help

I determined that I could telnet into the router and instruct it to hang
up. Then I can watch and it attempts to reconnect within several seconds.

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Mark Dalton wrote:
> You should not need 'named', it would always be listening, but I am
> not sure that would cause this problem.

I killed named and nothing changed

> Actually it could be other things:
> 	a. Processes (cron jobs) if you have something going out
>            every few minutes.

I killed crond and nothing changed

> 	b. Anything you may be displaying back to your linux machine
>            from a machine out on the net.

I know of nothing like this going on. The router is dialing OUT though.
The connection isn't coming in the other way.

> 	c. sendmail, do you receive your mail on your Linux machine
> 	   or does your Linux box query a server to get new mail?
> 	   (sendmail [I believe] can be setup to do reverse lookups, and
>             will also reply to mail).
> 	   * NOTE: I have sendmail running on my machine, but I do
>                    not have mail forwarded to my home workstation.

I am running my own server. My ISP's server sends mail addressed to my
domain my way and establishes a connection as needed.

> I have a Cisco 760, and I can tell when it is connected/transferring
> via the lights on the router.

There is a WAN light on my Pipeline that lights up whenever a connection
is active.

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.