Re: [TCLUG:2631] Samba setup

I think I had faced the same problem a long time ago.

1. Make sure that there is no domain name and hostname with the loopback
interface in your hosts
    file. i.e. a localhost.localdomain after the "127.0.0.1  localhost"
in the /etc/hosts file.
2. By default it should use your hostname but you can add an entry in
the /etc/smb.conf
    as netbios name = myserver in the [globals] section.
3. Make sure your netbios nameserver daemon is running. Do a ps aux and
grep for it.
4. Look in your /var/log/samba* messages. If nmbd has started up and all
that.
5. Check your dns proxy section in the /etc/smb.conf file and set it to
yes/no depending
    on how your network is configured.
6. Ensure you have the latest version of samba for your platform.
7. Restart samba with a /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

I think these are all the steps I looked into while solving this
problem. I donot remember
which of them exactly fixed the problem, because I seem to have all
those changes in my
system !
--
HTH.