Re: [TCLUG:2721] Networking via parallel port

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Sandipan Panigrahi wrote:

> You could also try using the serial ports and a null modem cable,
> to connect the two machines together. That is what I used to do before
> I purchased my network cards. The serial howto explains this.
>
> Is the serial connection faster than the parallel one ?

Parallel should be up to ten times faster. Network cards are ten to 100
times faster than that.

I did some sampling of large audio files on my laptop and transferred to
my PC. Serial networking took 12 hours to transfer a 35MB file, parallel
took about 75 minutes and over the 10MB network, it takes under five
minutes.

I bought two new Intel 10MB network cards (ISA) at Onsale for $19 each,
including shipping.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>