Re: [TCLUG:3188] Re: x86 vs StrongARM Linux

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Troy Johnson wrote:

> Unreliable gossip has it that WordPerfect has had a unchanged file
> format since version 6.x and that winXX and UNIX versions use the same
> file formats and work well together.

I use both WP8 for Win95 and Linux at home and at work. I have found the
Linux and Win9x files to be 100% compatible so far. It works very well. I
can easily share documents with my colleagues who use Windows. They use
Samba to access their home directories on my Linux server, and I NFS-mount
my home directory to my Linux box.

> There are also rumors that Corel
> Office handles Office 97 file formats reasonably well (or at least as
> well as can be expected when translating proprietary binary formats).
> Can anyone substantiate these rumors? Thanks in advance,

Office 97 files are no problem either, but you must make sure you install
the latest service pack. I believe WP Suite is up to SP5 now. When I first
installed it and patched to SP4 I was able to import Office 97 files with
no problems.

BTW, WP Suite 8 Academic version can be had for $49 if you work for a
school or other qualifying institution. Hospitals, libraries, and probably
most other non-profits qualify.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your