Re: [TCLUG:3241] Linux for "regular" users

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Wow, what a great turnout for the TCLUG meeting today. That was the

My first meeting. Thanks to all for making me want to come back!

> I will have the opportunity in the very near future to advocate for Linux
> to a media person.

To me, this means his audience is my mom, if she had a PC. If not her,
people who use computers at work and who don't like change too much. The
type who get trained on their software.

In addition to all the really good ideas so far, I have some thoughts.

In that case, I'd go for cost (another meeting goer started me on this):
- Cost of the OS itself
- Huge Internet resource pool of people who will support for free,
but for those who really worry, paid support is also available.
- Cost of upgrading...
  - Lower frequency of new versions of the OS (when was the last time you
HAD to upgrade your kernel?)
  - On that note, when has a version upgrade required new hardware?
  - Lower price of upgrades
  - Easier and faster sofware upgrades
- Cost of applications (in most cases)

If there is more time...

- Compatability:
  - Internet standards
  - Network protocols
  - Works with Windows networks
  - Runs some Windows software

- Not influenced by economic concerns (getting esoteric now)
  - Immune to monopoly power

As for "Why choose Windows?"... (along with the other good reasons)

- It's safe
- If not safe, at least well-known

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>