Re: [TCLUG:3260] rdist

On 10 Jan, Richard Seymour wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 schewe@tcfreenet.org wrote:
>
>> Make sure that login is in you inetd.conf, so you have a line like:
>> login	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rlogind
>
> Mine looks ALMOST like that:
> login	stream	tcp4	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.rlogind

Just to make sure, change the tcp4 to just tcp.

> So the format's not wrong, it's just dangerous, right?

It's rather dangerous.  If you're behind a firewall I guess it isn't
too bad though.

> Can I run this without a .rhosts file at all? I can easily add the
> usernames to the .rhosts file as well, but if that's not the issue, I want
> to focus on making it work.

Get it working without the .rhosts first.  The .rhosts just specifies
which users can login from where without passwords using the r
commands.  You should still be able to use rlogin, rsh and rcp without
a .rhosts, you'll just have to type the password when prompted.  If
you're getting connection refused then inetd isn't starting in.rlogind.
Check you're logs and look for errors right after you try rlogin
localhost.  I have a feeling that that tcp4 thing is screwing it up.

--
Jon Schewe
http://tcfreenet.org/~schewe