Re: [TCLUG:3310] Modules in devel kernels

  Hi,

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Peter Lukas wrote:

> You'll also need to run `depmod -a` to update the module deps

That runs on bootup. It complains, but it does create a
/lib/modules/2.1.132/modules.dep

> and add desired modules into your /etc/conf.modules so that the kerneld
> will know what to load at boot time.

Ok, I've found no docs that say how this file's supposed to get created.
If I'm supposed to make it myself, I've seen no docs that explain how. I
think I've read that it can be left empty if you're not using aliases for
modules... or something...

> Try Chris's fix and some of the other things mentioned.

Well, like I said, I usually don't usemodules, so I just rm -rf the module
dir before experimenting with new modules.

> Also, if you built the scsi driver as a module, you'll need to do the
> mkinitrd trick (`mkinitrd initrd.img <kernel version> --ifneeded`).  I
> doubt you'll need this, though since you can boot allright.

Oh, I don't have any SCSI harddrives. We need a scanner and I want one
that'll work well under Linux (umax 612s so far seems the best choice).
Once I have a SCSI adapter, though, I might get a DAT and/or CD-R etc.

-Yaron