RE: [TCLUG:3331] Windows NT pricing

Here is a proposala I made to a company that wanted a bid to upgrade their
server

Server Software:

Plan A

Network Operating System	Red Hat Linux  	Price  $50

Includes:
*	Internet gateway software
*	Proxy server
*	BRU Backup suite
*	Samba (Windows(tm) file and print services)
*	Apache Web Server
*	Sendmail e-mail package
*	Internet firewalling capability
*	Unlimited user connections.
*	Dial in remote access to the server

	Total $50

Pros: Fast, Flexible, very customizable, very affordable. Many additional
features are freely available.  National support contracts are available for
purchase.

Drawbacks:  Learning curve takes some time.

Plan B

Network Operating System	Windows NT Server
	Base Price $ 290

Includes:
File and Print Services
IIS Web Server

Additional Software needed

Windows NT 10 client Pack	$385
Microsoft Exchange Server	$489
Microsoft Proxy Server	$896

Pros: Interface looks like Windows, brand recognition.
Drawbacks: Difficult to customize, new features require software purchase,
comparatively slow and unstable.

	Total $ 2060