Re: [TCLUG:3397] UMAX Astra 610S scanner

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Yaron wrote:
> It comes with a SCSI card, but the knowledgable staff at CompUSA couldn't
> tell me what chipset it is or (believe it or not!) whether it'd work under
> Linux.

You can try to contact Umax support, but they are known to be difficult to
deal with. As a reference, my Umax 600S (a bit older, but 14" long image
area) came with an AdvanSys ISA controller. I no longer user it because my
Plextor CD-R came with an Adaptec 2930. That card definitely works with
Linux, but I have yet to try scanning.

The 2930 is quite a bit cheaper than the 2940, the only diffrence is that
the 2930 is Ultra SCSI, and the 2940 is Ultra Wide SCSI. So you are
limited to a maximum data rate of 20MB/sec. It seems fine for running
scanners and CD-ROM drives.

FWIW, CDW sells the 2930B for $149.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>