Re: [TCLUG:3463] Can linux do this?

> NFS and NIS (aka YP). SAMBA, if the server is NT. We use NFS/NIS in the
> ACM lab, with exactly the situation you describe.

My understanding was that nis/yp send passwords clear text and couldn't
(or shouldn't) be used for root access. Also I don't think nfs does file
syncronization.

> X Windows was born to do this. Read 'man X' and look for the '-query'
> option. It'll eat up your bandwidth, but as someone else said, there is a
> compression scheme available to make this less of a problem.

How do you have the program come up on your display without telneting into
the server? (so you can just type netscape on the workstation, and it will
have the server run netscape and send the display to the workstation.

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Power is given only to those who dare to lower themselves and pick it up.
 -- Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)