Re: [TCLUG:3372] We're stuck with X

Hi:

It would certainly be worthwhile for the Linux
community as a whole to standardize with regard
to various libraries (libc vs glibc, etc) and
GUI development (Motif vs GTK+, Qt, etc).

I purchased Red Hat's distribution of Motif 2.1.10
because some of the apps I am using and basing
development on are Motif-based and also because
I can select from a large number of books about
Motif.  I am using the mwm that came with Motif
as my window manager as a matter of convenience.
Again, there is an excellent book about setting
up mwm for command line users who want the benefit
of the GUI without the frustration of having to
click their way through everything.

This is just one person's view, and I am probably
in the minority.  I don't personally know anybody
else who has bought a Motif for Linux.  The one
app that seems to have straddled the Lesstif/Motif
line quite well is ddd (the graphical debugger/front-
end for gdb).  Its binaries come built for Lesstif,
but I was easily able to recompile for Motif 2.1.10.

I really don't care which libraries win out, as long
as a very strong standard emerges that eliminates the
problems of having libc and glibc versions of everything
and some apps requiring Motif while others require GTK+,
while still others require Qt.

Tony