Re: [TCLUG:3624] A new subscriber...

> My question, and my reason for joining is this: I've been using Linux
> for about six months now and have been unable to get connected to my ISP,
> which, incidentally is the U of M modem pool. Using linuxconf I have set
> up my ppp interface, the modem will dial the number, go through the standard
> handshaking noises, then ppp will start the whole connection process over
> again. I believe I'm following the instructions in the Red Hat installation
> guide (RH 5.2), and the myriad of other sources correctly. Is there some bit
> od arcane logic that I'm forgetting? Has anyone else had trouble connecting
> to the U's modem pool? Am I just hopeless? :)

I imagine that the script for connecting to the U wasn't set up
properly..

You should use minicom or another terminal to try out the necessary
commands.  In my experience, the modem pool works fine once you connect
properly..  I used it a bit last year when the Superblock would get cut
off (Even had IP Masquerading working for other people on my floor ;-)

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-final