Re: [TCLUG:3624] A new subscriber...

Hello all:

> The U of M modem pool just plain sucks.  If they offered true ppp,
> you wouldn't need a script to connect.  Plus, rare is a connection
> made higher than 26400.

Uh, yes the modem pool sucks, but my last 10 connections were
at 115200:

[root@pico /root]# tail /var/log/modem
chat:  Jan 13 06:54:28 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 14 07:31:21 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 14 23:39:21 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 14 23:43:00 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 19 10:42:12 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 20 23:00:49 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 20 23:01:49 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 20 23:03:00 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 20 23:47:29 CONNECT 115200
chat:  Jan 22 23:09:01 CONNECT 115200
[root@pico /root]#

From looking at the connect log, you can see how often things
go haywire though.  And it doesn't show the times the pool is
busy, or doesn't pick up, or my modem gets no carrier, et cetera.
And since when is a connect script an indicator of "false" ppp?

Regards,
John